FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. APRIL 15, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood – President||Andy Smith – Vice President|
|Bob Cope – Treasurer||Phred Sevening – Secretary|
|Bob Baert||Dennis Rassmussen|
|Ken Williams||Lee Anthony|
|Ted Colquhoun||Maj Octavia Heard –
25 AF Anniversary Week POC
3. MINUTES of the March 2016 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Well the big day is almost upon us! This Friday (29 April,) the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Freedom Through Vigilance Association will host a Vietnam Veterans Commemoration Event. As a reminder: the event will be held at 3:00 pm on Peterson Air Force Base; in the “City Hanger” at the Peterson Air and Space Museum. Based on feedback received, we are planning on approximately 50 people to be in attendance. At the present time, we have approximately 15 eligible veterans (Military Service dates between Nov 1955 – May 1975) who will be recognized. If you are eligible and haven’t yet let us know about your attendance, please drop me a line, as we want to be able to recognize all who attend…We wouldn’t want anyone to fall through the cracks. Finally, as we approach Friday’s ceremony, I want to thank each and every one of you who has had a hand in making this event possible. I realize that there has been a lot of behind the scenes work accomplished, which has made this event happen; but I would be remiss if I didn’t single out CMSgt (ret) Tom Nurre and the EC-47 History Site for their generous support and mentorship. We took an idea that the FTVA Heritage Chapter sponsored last year with great success, and wanted to recognize our local Vietnam Veterans in a similar fashion. Chief “Snowbird” Nurre has already returned to the Concho Valley, but he’ll be tracking our progress via the photos and our after action report.
- SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- USAFSS Display at the National Museum of the Air Force. Phred Sevening met with 25 AF Deputy Chief of Staff again to get a status update on this initiative. According to the Deputy CoS, Ms Heather Martin, Maj Gen Shwedo supports having the 25th Air Force History Team serve as the overall POC. Additionally, this action item will get added to the 25th Air Force’s “People First” initiatives, which means the activity will be very visible to the entire NAF staff, and updates will be briefed monthly to the senior leaders. It is too soon to know what sort of input the FTVA, or anyone else outside of 25 AF, will have.
- Elmendorf FLR-9 Retirement. The FLR-9 at Elmendorf AFB is set to be retired in the near future; Ron Haygood will attend the deactiviation ceremony.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Spring Social Update: Ken Williams met with the event caterer to ensure everything is on track. Ted Colquhoun will provide a final headcount of deployers on Wednesday.
- Anniversary Week POC. Maj Octavia Heard, the 25th Air Force Squadron Section Commander (25 AF/CCQ) has volunteered to serve as the Anniversary Week POC. She has already met with last year’s POC to get the ball rolling.
- Elmendorf FLR-9 deactivation ceremony. Ron Haygood got in invitation to attend the Elmendorf FLR-9 deactivation ceremony, he will go TDY to attend the event.
- RSM-1 Reunion. The Radio Station Mobile (RSM) 1 reunion team sent a letter to Ron Haygood asking for his assistance in getting the RSM-1 members access to headquarters 25 AF when they assemble in San Antonio in early September for their annual reunion. Ron responded by recommending they move the dates of their reunion to coincide with the FTVA reunion as they would be able to get more out of the festivities. If they are unable to adjust their reunion dates, Ron is able to ensure the RSM-1 members get access to 25th Air Force spaces.
- Letter from Jim Kaus. Jim submitted a letter to the FTVA Board of Directors to formally disband the Florida Chapter. After passionate discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to hold off disbanding that chapter until the new 363 ISRG and 25 IS Commanders are in place (July timeframe). Ron will engage with both new Commanders to explore options to maintain viability of the Chapter. We anticipate no decisions or subsequent discussions until the new leadership is in place.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Dennis Rassmussen: Reminder that inputs for the next Newsletter is 31 May.
- Lee Anthony: Bubba Armintrout is getting inducted into the 55th Wing Hall of Fame on 20 May. The Beaner Reunion will be held in conjunction with the FTVA Anniversary activities this September. There is an initiative to name one of the 97th Intel Squadron buildings after the recently deceased CMSgt (ret) Tom Tennant.
- Andy Smith. I have a new deck on my house, and offer to host the next FTVA Board of Directors’ meeting there, or at least have a little get-together after the meeting. Let me know.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1410. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 20 May 2016.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening