FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. FEBRUARY 19, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood – President||Andy Smith — Vice President|
|Bob Cope – Treasurer||Phred Sevening – Secretary|
|Bob Baert||Dennis Rassmussen|
|Ken Williams||Barnie Gavin|
|Ken Maynard||Dennis Buxton|
|Mark Hess||Col Kyle Forrer – 25 AF Senior Liaison|
3. MINUTES of the January 2016 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4.TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
- ALAMO CHAPTER: The February meeting of the Alamo Chapter of the Freedom Through Vigilance Association (FTVA) was held on 18 February 2016 at Logan’s Roadhouse, 12477 W. Interstate 10, San Antonio, TX 78230. The meeting was called to order at 1830 by President Barnie Gavin. There were a total of 16 members and four spouses/family members present. The following business was completed:
- The Alamo Chapter now has a chapter checking account with SSFCU. Mike Nielsen, Secretary/Treasurer received checks this week and provided a deposit slip for Barnie to pass on to the FTVA Treasurer at the 19 February 2016 FTVA Board meeting. We receive funding based on our membership numbers from the National Chapter.
- Ron Haygood updated the group on the status of the RQ-4 Global Hawk Enlisted Pilot conversion. Air Force Enlisted Pilots are in our future for the first time since WWII.
- Ron also provided an update on the AN/FLR-9 located at Elmendorf AFB Alaska. A ceremony on 25 May will officially mark the cessation of operations at our last Flare 9. The unit is in the early stages of looking into methods to preserving the antennae/complex as a historical site. She will keep the FTVA Board apprised as this issue develops.
- Meeting was adjourned at 1900, followed by a meal and great fellowship and comradery.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: No formal chapter meetings since last month; Dickie Hites successfully completed double cataract surgery.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: This is what we have for now. I’ll put the word out about the Spring Fling on 23 April. I have a big volunteer event that day but hopefully I can find someone to cover that for me. Taker EZ and hope to see you soon!
- Looks like Event Center has lost our check, so we’ll cancel it; Retiree Appreciation Day coordinator said he appreciated our donation but in the end it wasn’t needed as base funding was secured
- Christmas Hangover Party: everyone had a great time and the folks at Peppercorn took great care of us
- Shadowbox update: Kurt will visit the base this month and take a look at the design/measurements of the shadow box in Bldg 448; still waiting on word when Cressman Hall will reopen; right now shooting for late March; will work to schedule a presentation ceremony once Cressman Hall re-opens //Kurt took care of this two weeks ago//
- Wayne Bascom is making progress on our new web page; will work with Bob in San Antonio when its ready for implementation to make sure we are fully connected
- Vietnam War Commemorative pinning ceremony scheduled for 10 Feb at Rio Conch Manor //30 vets were pinned and presented Heritage Chapter certificates of appreciation//
- Tom Nurre reports we continue to make progress on the 6994th history project; more data is being released and its looking good; will work with ASU to archive this information
- Next meeting is 3 Mar and will be a meet & eat at Peppercorn; will have the five member international officers course in attendance; class has students from Taiwan, Egypt, Japan, Jordan, and Republic of the Congo
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- USAFSS Display at the National Museum of the Air Force. President Ron Haygood has not had a chance to get with appropriate leadership from 25th Air Force to discuss.
- Guest Speaker for Spring Social: Rick Francona will be out of the country, unable to speak at the Spring Social; and Brig Gen Select Dan Simpson will be deployed. Still working to lock in guest speaker.
- Sunshine Chapter Update: Unable to get commitment from anyone in a leadership position within the Sunshine Chapter to serve as interim President. Ron Haygood will engage with incoming Commander of 25th IS to reach out in hopes of reinvigorating the Sunshine Chapter.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Golf Tournament Change of Venue: Dennis Buxton secured the Golf Club of Texas as the site for the 2016 Anniversary Week Golf Tournament. Expect a slight increase in price, and the catered BBQ lunch will remain part of the event.
- COBRA BALL 664 Crash Anniversary Event: The 45th RS at Offutt, AFB will hold a commemoration ceremony honoring the 35th anniversary of the crash of Cobra Ball tail number 664. After brief discussion, consensus is there is no role for FTVA.
- Historic Preservation of the Last FLR-9. The last operational FLR-9 in the U.S. inventory will be deactivated in the spring of 2016; and the 381st IS at Elmendorf is working to establish the site as a historical monument. The unit is seeking sponsorship from a civilian organization in order to meet the legal requirements. After short discussion, agreement was reached to wait to see where this goes before making a commitment.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: A nice thank-you note from Captain Heather Ross, the 2015 Anniversary Week POC, thanking us for the gift certificate that was presented in appreciation for her efforts.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Mark Hess: I am working to move the Vigilant Partners program forward, working with Bob Baert to ensure our web presence is optimized. Part of that requires us to change the name from “Official Activities” to “Vigilant Partners.” Want to pursue the art of the possible regarding how can we ensure donors get a return on investment.
- Dennis Rassmussen: The Newsletter is out, the quality of the photographs has improved significantly over previous editions. Sincere thank you to the Newsletter quality control team and to everyone for getting updates in on time. The election committee is moving forward regarding the elections to the positions of Treasurer and Secretary at the annual general membership meeting in September.
- Bob Cope: I delivered the FTVA Life Membership to Doug Holden recently; he is doing very well and greatly appreciated the kind gesture.
- Ken Williams: I reached out to Steve Doucette, the Chief of Staff at 25th Air Force, to remind (or urge) him start working to identify the HQ 25 AF POC for the FTVA Anniversary Week festivities.
- Dennis Buxton: In addition to changing “Official Activities” to “Vigilant Partners” I recommend we change “Sports Chair” to “Golf Chair” because golf is the only sport in which we are involved.
- Ron Haygood: As we prepare for the 2016 Spring Social, I want to make sure we get the list of deployers from the previous year – who is in charge of that? Bob Baert let us know that Ted Colquhoun is in charge of getting the names of the deployers, and that Ted will get photos of the 2015 Larson Award winners from 25 AF/PA.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1443. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 18 March 2016.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening