FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. FEBRUARY 17, 2017 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Executive Dining Room.
|Ron Haygood – President||Ted Colquhoun – Vice President|
|Bob Cope – Treasurer||Bob Baert|
|Dennis Rassmussen||Ken Williams|
|Barnie Gavin||Dennis Buxton|
|Lee Anthony – Past President||Steve Anderson – 25 AF Representative|
3. MINUTES: The January 2017 meeting minutes were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- Update on CMSgt Tom Tennant Hall (97 IS). The naming of the 97 IS Ops building on Offutt AFB has been approved and the naming of CMSgt Tom Tennant Hall will occur sometime in late June (date TBD). There was a motion to support the Prop Wash Gang and augment their donation up to $5000.00. Approved and granted to the executive committee to set the level of commitment. Will disseminate the date as soon as received.
- Modifications to Anniversary Week Sequence of Events: Modifications to the Anniversary Week Events were approved by the Board of Directors. In order to gain more participation and avoid the excessive demand on Saturday the Hall of Honor induction ceremony is moved to Friday staring at 0900, the Remembrance Ceremony will kick off at 1030 and the picnic will follow at 1130.
- Spring Social Update: Social Activities Chair Ken Williams confirmed the Spring Social date on 8 April 17 at the Marriott Courtyard/SeaWorld/Westover Hills banquet room (11605 State Hwy 151, San Antonio, TX) on Saturday evening, 8 April 2017, 1700-2000. The guest speaker will be Brig Gen (s) James Cluff, 25 AF/CV. Over the last year there were 49 deployed members from local 25 AF units. Invites have gone out to the 25 that are still in the local area.
- CMSgt Stu Engbretson Award: CMSgt Stu Engbretson Award donation approved for $200.00. Two awards presented to the Senior and Junior Tactics Analysts of the Year on 9 March 2017. Pictures and write-up submitted to Rass for inclusion in the RIT Newsletter.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Updating Life Member Roster: Membership Chair Bob Baert will send a hard-copy letter accompanied by postage-paid return response post card to all FTVA Lifetime Members who have not been heard from in the past six months. Intent is to determine who desires to remain as active members so the Membership Roster can be updated, and the Newsletter mailing can hopefully be cut back.
- Guest Speaker for 2017 Anniversary Week Banquet: There should be a new Commander of the 25th Air Force in place for the next Anniversary Week. Traditionally, the new Commander is the guest speaker at the banquet. FTVA President Ron Haygood will work with the Front Office Staff to secure the next 25 AF/CC as the guest speaker.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Bob Cope: 1) Requested we approach the 25 AF/CS again on having the History Office coordinate with the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB on putting together a USAFSS display at the museum commemorating and highlighting the accomplishments of the Command (President Ron Haygood said he would re-attack); 2) Brought up the topic of an ongoing effort at DLI to recognize “Doggers” who died in Vietnam. Supported by the Heritage Chapter, Larry MillerTart is working with DLI to add names to the DLI Memorial recognizing our fallen “Dogger” comrades.
- Dennis Rassmussen: Reminded the group that elections nominations are needed for the next Newsletter (Rass received a nomination from Ron and Ted…both nominating Evan Smith (Lt Col, Retired), previous Commander of the 97 IS and currently working in HQ 25 AF).
- Ken Williams: Announced that CMSgt Jay Johnson’s funeral proceedings will be 20 February 2017 and solicited support from the BOD to attend.
- Steve Anderson (25 AF Senior Rep): Advised the board that the 25 AF Senior Leadership Conference will be on 28-30 March and will include the Wing/Gp Commanders and Command Chiefs.
- Lee Anthony: The list of Fallen Eagles unfortunately continues to grow. He reached out on Facebook to request more input and garnered a significant number of names.
- Dennis Buxton: I have the golf course locked in for 28 September this year; will have the same menu and the same price. Will need a 25 AF POC.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1425. The next meeting will be on Friday, the 21st of April 2017 probably in the SSFCU Executive Dining Room.
Ted W. Colquhoun
Acting FTVA Secretary (for this meeting)