FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. FEBRUARY 16, 2018 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ted Colquhoun called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Corporate Headquarters Building, LaCantera Pkwy, San Antonio Texas.
|Ted Colquhoun – President||Evan Smith – Vice President|
|Lee Anthony – Interim Treasurer||Ken Williams|
|Dennis Buxton||Ron Haygood|
3. MINUTES: The January 2018 meeting minutes were read and approved.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was presented and filed for audit. Overall health of the FTVA’s finances is strong. It was also noted that the 501(C)(3) USAFSS/ESC Memorial Fund needs to be utilized as it has grown significantly and recent expenditures have been small.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: The February meeting of the FTVA Alamo Chapter was called to order by President Barnie Gavin on 15 February 2018 at 6:15 PM at Saltgrass Steakhouse at 11745 I-10W. There were 22 members, spouses and family members present. Items discussed included:
1) The “They Served in Silence” DVD is still available. You can still pick up a copy at the next meeting.
2) Evan Smith is going to contact the commander of the 543rd to discuss how the Alamo Chapter can support that organization. We currently have $450 in our treasury that needs to be allocated to a cause or possibly returned back to the FTVA.
3) New members Evan Smith and his wife Annette were there along with Joel Siskovic and his wife Carol.
4) Barnie mentioned that the FTVA Spring will be held in April in lieu of our Chapter meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 6:30 PM where we continued to share stories and enjoy each other’s fellowship. The next meeting is scheduled for 15 March at 5:00 PM at the Saltgrass Steakhouse. If that changes we’ll be sure and let you know.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- MID-ATLANTIC REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- New Special Activities Chair: Ted Colquhoun has a person in mind for this position and will provide an update at the next meeting.
- Spring Social Update: Ken Williams has solidified a contract with the Marriott for 21 April. CMSgt Stanley Cadell, 25AF/CCM will be the guest speaker.
- National Museum of the Air Force (NMUSAF) USAFSS Display: No new information. Ted will contact Mike Meerman’s for an update.
- Payments/Rebates to Chapters: Discussed. Confirmed $2/head for each Chapter.
- FTVA Facebook Presence: Discussed the Facebook Page; Consensus was that there’s more that could be done with it. For further discussion.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Remain in Touch Newsletter Update: Dennis Buxton, having stepped up to take over the RIT Newsletter, passed his appreciation to all the chapters that provided input for the recent edition and to Ken and Pepito for their assistance. He highlighted the need for timely inputs (Ted). He suggested that a proper publishing software be considered to replace the current word processing software that is used. All present concurred with the idea and Dennis is going to research potential programs and select the one he feels will best support the Newsletter activities.
- FTVA Treasurer Emeritus: Lee Anthony proposed that Bob Cope be named Treasurer Emeritus for his long and faithful service. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously accepted by the Board.
- Electronic Payment Methods: Ted Colquhoun provided an update on the efforts of Bob Baert to test the Zelle application with reported success. More specific details will be forthcoming at the next meeting.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: N/A
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- A.J. Harrison: Noted that 2018 marks the 70th Anniversary of USAFSS. Ted will talk to Steve Doucette about making this year’s ball a 70th Anniversary event and the idea of possibly inviting former CCs & CCMs. Consideration should be given to selling embossed cups again this year.
- Lee Anthony, having taken on the Treasurer position, proposed that a search commence for someone to take on the maintenance of the Fallen Eagle database. Ken Maynard expressed interest in stepping in to that role.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1425. The next meeting will be March 16, 2018 at the SSFCU HQ Cafeteria.
Evan V. Smith
Acting FTVA Secretary (for this meeting)