FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JANUARY 20, 2012 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we have a quorum, President Lee Anthony called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Lee Anthony – President||Ron Haygood — Vice President|
|Bob Cope — Treasurer||Phred Sevening — Secretary|
|Chris Cook||Bob Baert|
|Joe Hurst||Jim McLendon|
|Wayne Tallant||Dennis “Rass” Rassmussen|
|Bob Sherwood||Doug Holden|
|Wayne Amman — HQ AFISRA/PA|
3. MINUTES: The Minutes of the NOV 2011 meeting were read and approved.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS: HATS update. Doug Holden has distributed 13 hats since last meeting, and after accounting for the financial contributions received from the recipients of those hats, we are “almost” at the break-even point. Will continue to distribute hats until they are gone. Related discussion topics included presenting hats to the deployed Airmen who will be honored at our Spring Social in March, sharing the hats with associate chapters, and ordering more to ensure we have plenty on hand for the annual anniversary week events. No substantive decision was made on future hat actions.
6. NEW BUSINESS.
- FTVA National Capital Region (NCR) Chapter. Al Dowling, a recent Hall of Honor inductee, is working to rejuvenate the NCR Chapter of the FTVA. He is contacting existing chapter leadership and identifying other new blood in order to breathe new life and motivation in the chapter.
- Gen Koziol’s retirement. Lt Gen Craig Koziol, the last USAFSS Airman in uniform, is retiring on 20 April 2012. The FTVA BOD wants to commemorate the event in a big way; and much discussion ensued regarding where, when, and what regarding the event. Consensus is leaning towards tying the event to our Spring Social, with an initial speaker recapping the significance of USAFSS, followed by Gen Koziol addressing the audience regarding his thoughts. We will reach out to the Koziols to coordinate a date and location toward the end of March.
- Retiring HoH Chair, Bob Sherwood. President Lee Anthony presented Bob Sherwood with a significant token of our appreciation for his efforts as our Hall of Honor Chair. Motion was made, seconded, and unanimously approved to designate Bob as our most recent Director Emeritus. President Lee Anthony announced A.J. Harrison as our next HoH Chair. We will need a new Picnic Chair to replace A.J. in that capacity. All BOD members are asked to canvass the local membership to help find a suitable candidate to replace A.J. as Picnic Chair.
- FTVA Constitution and By-Laws update. Joe Hurst presented a draft update to the bylaws regarding who can be considered as an associate member. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to accept the changes recommended by Joe.
- Stu Engbretson Award. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to donate the regular amount of money to the annual Stu Engbretson Award for the Tactics Analysis and Reporting Program (TARP) Analyst of the Year. Stu is a member of the FTVA Hall of Honor and considered to be the founding father of TARP.
7. CORRESPONDENCE. We received a nice thank-you letter from Maj Gen Otto, AFISRA Commander, for our support during the annual Maj Gen Doyle E. Larson Awards program where the Agency recognizes “the best of the best” of every enlisted Air Force Specialty in the ISR Agency.
8. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Phred Sevening shared copies of the Hilltop News from 1978 through 1983. The Hilltop News was a publication focuses exclusively on Security Hill and was an insert in the Kelly base newspaper, “The Kelly Observer.” SMSgt BJ Jones archived the publications for us and also copied everything to a CD. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to have Bob Baert publish the digitized copies of the papers on our FTVA website.
- Wayne Tallant: In future editions of the FTVA Newsletter we will provide the source of the obituaries of our Fallen Eagles, along with saying “thanks” to the one who provided the data.
- Rass Rassmussen shared that updates to the next Newsletter need to be in to him no later than 1 FEB 2012.
- Bob Sherwood. A expressed sincere thank you to Grover McMakin, Bill Ballard, and Bob Cope for their guidance and support for the FTVA Hall of Honor program as it stood up and matured to the excellent program it is today. He stated that although he was no longer the HoH Chair, he would continue to serve the FTVA when and where needed.
- Wayne Amann: Presented the Joint Base San Antonio Ambassadors, and for the first time ever the line-up does not include an Airman from AFISRA. He then shared copies of the USAFSS History from 1948 to 1949, copies of the USAF publication “Portraits in Courage” and the current copy of “Tactical ISR Technology” which features Maj Gen Bob Otto, AFISRA Commander, on the cover with a four page article inside. Finally, AFISRA/ PA merged with AFISRA Multi Media to become more efficient and effective in the Agency.
- Chris Cook shared an excellent update on the San Antonio Cyber Patriot Program.
- Joe Hurst reported that the upcoming Golf Tournament for FTVA Anniversary Week is on track.
- h. Ron Haygood shared that Mrs Doyle E. Larson contacted the AFISRA History Office to share some of Gen Larson’s memorabilia. The History Office will send a member TDY to Mrs Larson’s residence to ensure the effort is done correctly. Ron then shared some of the new activities and the missions that the AFISRA was involved in around the world.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1441. The next meeting will be at the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 17 FEB 2012.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening