FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JANUARY 17, 2014 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood – President||Andy Smith — Vice President|
|Bob Cope — Treasurer||Phred Sevening — Secretary|
|Bob Baert||Joe Hurst|
|Dennis Rassmussen||Dennis Buxton|
|Bob Crabtree||Col Mike Shields, AFISRA Liaison|
3. MINUTES: The minutes of the NOV 2013 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS:
- MENTORING PROGRAM: Andy Smith: The vision for this concept is bigger than simply helping somebody transition from active duty to civilian-hood. It is more about helping people, taking our established and proven skills and sharing that knowledge and experience to help others. Recommend those who are interested in serving as mentors provide a bio that includes interests and skills. There are a number of ways to reach out to people, Facebook, email, Twitter, and more.
- SPRING SOCIAL: The date is 8 March, location is the Courtyard Marriott at Wiseman and 151, time is 1700 until it is over. No confirmed guest speaker yet, but the invite has gone to Maj Gen Shanahan and we expect he will agree. Ken Williams is working the menu, and Ted Colquhoun is working to line up the returning deployers.
6. NEW BUSINESS :
- FTVA ANNIVERSARY WEEK UPDATE: Ron Haygood will send a formal invite to retired General Mike Hayden to serve as guest speaker for the banquet. Will route the invite through Maj Gen Shanahan.
- CHAPTER REBATES were sent out in December.
- CHAPTER UPDATES: After the 480 ISRW 10th anniversary celebration, we are hopeful that the right people there will capitalize on the momentum and stand up a new chapter. Barnie Gavin has already sent material to Rick Ricker (480 ISRW POC) to assist; and all the right people are standing by to provide additional assistance as needed.
7. CORRESPONDENCE: We received a nice thank-you letter from Mr Rick Ricker, 480 ISRW 10th Anniversary POC, recognizing us for our support and interest in their recent anniversary event.
8. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Dennis Rassmussen: Suspense for inputs to the next Newsletter is 1 Feb 2014.
- Col Mike Shields: Because there is an expectation that the ISR Agency will change as an organization, what is the vision for the relationship between FTVA and the new organization (likely a C-NAF)? After short discussion, consensus is there will be no substantive change as the FTVA is chartered to support the ISR Airmen, and that opportunity will remain intact no matter what form the new organization becomes.
- Ron Haygood:
- Attended the recent RC-135 Executive Program Management Review (EPMR) and learned that the 55 WG is having a dining out this April.
- This August the 97 IS will celebrate their 97th year of existence.
- SSgt Richard Dickson will be memorialized on the NSA Wall of Honor; he was the TSO killed in the MC-12 crash in Somalia in 2013.
- There are plans for another deployment picnic in April; we can expect a request from the ISR Agency Command Chief for financial support.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1410. The next meeting will be at the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 21 FEB 2014.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening