FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 782691616
1. JULY 18, 2014 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood – President||Bob Cope – Treasurer|
|Phred Sevening – Secretary||Jim McLendon|
|Bob Crabtree||AJ Harrison|
|Bob Baert||Lee Anthony|
|Dennis Buxton||Dennis Rassmussen|
|Maj Rich Waters – AFISRA Anniversary Events Liaison|
3. MINUTES: The minutes of the June 2014 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS: 2014 Anniversary Week Planning Actions: Maj Rich Waters gave an excellent rundown on current status on all events and activities associated with upcoming Anniversary Week. Everything is on track and moving in the right direction.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
- Armenian Crash Site. A request came to Ron Haygood seeking support, financial and otherwise, to an effort in Armenia to ensure upkeep of the cold war EC-130 crash site. Local Armenians who witnessed the crash strongly believe the American crew went above and beyond in ensuring no civilian collateral damage as the aircraft went down. There is an effort underway to honor the American crewmembers, and the POC is looking for support. After much discussion, the members present agreed to have Bob Cope and Lee Anthony take this for action; with potential for teaming with the PropWash Gang. More to follow at next meeting.
- Ty Cobb’s EC-47 Painting. Ty Cobb owns the EC-47 over Vietnam painting hanging in Air Force ISR Agency Headquarters command section. He has given written permission to AJ Harrison to have the graphic copied and made available to those who want to own one. Because of the anticipated cost of reproduction, there will be a recommended donation; but that amount is not yet known.
7. CORRESPONDENCE. The Heritage Chapter at San Angelo, Texas recently created an ARDF memorabilia display within the schoolhouse at Goodfellow, AFB. They are thinking about creating a commemorative coin to honor the system and those who operated it. Dennis Rassmussen will work with Heritage Chapter members to get more information and make sure FTVA main chapter Board of Directors act appropriately on their request for assistance.
8. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Jim McLendon: Due to current economic situation, expect participation in the Vigilant Partners program to decline this year.
- AJ Harrison: Hall of Honor committee selected four to induct at the ceremony later this year.
- Bob Baert: Request came in to create an online voting capability to allow members who are not able to attend the annual general membership meeting to vote. After short discussion on the logistical challenges, decision was made to not support this request. A different request came in seeking to share FTVA membership roster data from other organizations and asking Bob to send Anniversary Week invites to them. After short discussion decision was made to not support, because current FTVA members get the invites; and those who are interested in attending FTVA Anniversary Week events are encouraged to join FTVA so they can get an official invitation.
- Dennis Buxton: Golf tourney all set.
- Lee Anthony: A member of the 316 TTS at Goodfellow AFB is starting an initiative to create a memorial honoring Direct Support Operators (DSOs). Lee referred him to contact Heritage Chapter members, specifically JJ Graham.
- Dennis Rassmussen: There is potential need for new Newsletter backup editor; if anyone is interested please contact Rass.
- Ron Haygood: The official announcement regarding standup of 25 Air Force was released earlier this month, with a 1 October start date. The current Air Force ISR Agency command structure is reorganizing to meet the transition requirements.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1450. The next meeting will be held in the Commander’s Conference Room of building 2007 (Larson Hall), Air Force ISR Agency Headquarters at 1330, August 15, 2014.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening