FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JUNE 18, 2010 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: President Lee Anthony called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Lee Anthony — President||Ron Haygood — Vice President|
|Bob Cope — Treasurer||Loren “Phred” Sevening — Secretary|
|Chris Cook||Bob Baert|
|Doug Holden||Dennis “Rass” Rassmussen|
|Wayne Amann — AFISRA/PA||Lt Col Amber Cargile — AFISRA/PA|
|Major Luis Cairo — AFISRA Liaison for Anniversary Events|
2. AFISRA/PA Presentation on Haiti Earthquake Relief Operations. Lt Col Amber Cargile from AFISRA/PA presented a poignant video ant PowerPoint briefing on the relief operations in Haiti. She was deployed there as the Joint Task Force Deputy Public Affairs for the almost the entire operation. The presentation was followed by a lengthy question and answer session, as the presentation hit all of us on an emotional level. Very well done — thanks Amber!
3. MINUTES: The Minutes of the May 2010 meeting were read and approved with minor modifications.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- SENIOR SCOUT Model. Lockheed Martin officials gave the go-ahead to proceed with making the model. The plan is to have it available for the upcoming Anniversary Events this September. If everything falls into place, there will be a dedication ceremony for the SCOUT model similar to what was done for the RF-4 last year. No motion required, information update only.
- Anniversary Banquet dinner music. Consensus at the meeting was dinner music would be nice to have for the banquet. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to request SSgt Venture Carter from AFISRA/DSE to play piano again this year. As a token of our appreciation FTVA BOD will pay for his dinner and present him with a financial stipend for his efforts.
- Anniversary Events update. Everything is on track and looking good. Only change from normal is the intent to have a dedication ceremony for the SENIOR SCOUT model if everything falls into place for that to happen.
- New AFISRA Senior Liaison Update. Ron Haygood recommended not acting on this issue until after the summer assignment rotation is complete. There are several inbound O-6s to choose from once the dust settles. This issue is TABLED.
6. NEW BUSINESS.
- Photo Support from AFISRA History Office. SMSgt BJ Jones continues to do outstanding work by providing copies of historical photos from the History Office archives. BJ has shared several discs full of digitized copies, and also provided a couple boxes of actual photos. Plan is to have FTVA Historian, Barnie Gavin, do initial “triage” on the photos to get a feel for what would be appropriate for Bob Baert to post on FTVA website. From there, Barnie will coordinate with a small committee to do what is needed to organize, identify, label, and post the photos.
- Scrap Books from USAFSS Pacific. SMSgt Jones also provided three large scrap books covering USAFSS presence in the Pacific. The title on the scrapbooks is “6920th Security Group” but the information in the books covers several organizations throughout the theater, dating back to the 1940s. FTVA Historian, Barnie Gavin, is assessing the books to determine best way to proceed with sharing the contents with FTVA membership and beyond. No motion required.
- Gordon Summers Nomination to NSA Hall of Honor. Ron Haygood briefed us on intent within ISR Agency Headquarters to nominate Gordon Summers into the NSA Hall of Honor. A team of experts is doing the research and working on the nomination package. No motion required.
7. CORRESPONDENCE. NONE.
8. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Bob Cope.
- General Paul Martin is undergoing cancer treatment; he has lost some weight, but is optimistic.
- A donation was recently made to USAFSS/ESC Memorial Fund by Archie White in honor of Lucius Ruff. Suggestion was made to include a section in the newsletter on donations made to the fund, with intent of increasing interest and participation. Motion made, seconded, and approved.
- Dennis Rassmussen. The “I’ve Been Everywhere” video link was sent to FTVA BOD to determine appropriateness in presenting as a background presentation during the Annual General Membership Meeting this September. Total length of the video is close to 45 minutes.
- Wayne Amann:
- AFISRA/PA is glad to have Lt Col Cargile back from her Haiti deployment.
- Air Force Pararescueman TSgt Mike Flores was killed in action in Afghanistan last week and his remains were returned to San Antonio today. Team Lackland lined the streets to pay respects. There is a video on YouTube to honor TSgt Flores.
- ISR Agency/PA recently completed a video depicting all of our intelligence Air Force Specialties in action. The video is intended to be distributed as a recruiting video once it is approved by Gen Heithold and HAF/A2, Lt Gen Deptula.
- Barnie Gavin. Barnie presented suggestion about having a section on FTVA website that links to various sites, articles, videos, etc that are potentially important to our membership. From there, the discussion evolved into focusing on Facebook and the growing value and utility of using that medium to communicate our message. Lt Col Amber Cargile suggested using Facebook as a means of connecting with the younger Airmen and also a potential source of more photos and other topics of interest from “fans” on the site.
- Ron Haygood. The Cobra Judy Replacement ship will be christened soon by Gen Heithold. Wayne Amann added that the christening will be a good PA event.
- Lee Anthony. Given all the various organizations that have ties with us, Lee wants to pursue expanding relationships as a means of generating and maintaining interest and support for our efforts.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1519. Next meeting will be July 16, 2010 in the SSFCU Board Room, starting at 1330.
LOREN R. “PHRED” SEVENING