FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JUNE 16, 2017 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Executive Dining Room.
|Ron Haygood — President||Ted Colquhoun — Vice President|
|Bob Cope — Treasurer||Phred Sevening — Secretary|
|Bob Baert||Dennis Rassmussen|
|Dennis Buxton||Barnie Gavin|
3. MINUTES: The May 2017 meeting minutes were read and approved.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was presented and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- Update on CMSgt Tom Tennant Hall (97 IS). The Prop-Wash Gang did a fantastic job in planning and assisting Offutt AFB officials in the naming ceremony. We ended up contributing approximately $1650.00 for the event, with the money going towards the commemorative plaque and lettering.
- Modifications to Anniversary Week Sequence of Events: Given that we now plan to hold the Hall of Honor Induction Ceremony on Friday morning, Ron Haygood will work with the 25 AF History Office to ensure the Security Hill museum area is open to visitors on Friday after that event.
- Vigilant Partner Program. There is some concern about getting companies to participate in the Vigilant Partner Program. One idea is to offer two free tickets to this year’s banquet, which should be a high-interest event with retired Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Gen Clapper as the guest speaker. Other ideas include recognizing Platinum Partners at the banquet, sending personal letters to company leaders, posting large placards with company logo in the banquet hall, honoring Vigilant Partner companies with a placard on one of the 18 holes on the golf course which would add visibility during the golf tournament, funding a four-some from a Vigilant Partner company, and recognizing them in various ways (signs, shout-outs) during golf tournament sign-in, awards ceremony, and/or catered dinner. Ron Haygood will work with protocol to ensure Platinum Partners who attend the banquet get seated with appropriate 25 AF members.
- SSFCU Recognition. Ron Haygood will get with Joe Hurst in order to make an appearance at a future SSFCU Board Meeting where he plans to thank the board in person for all their support to FTVA, and the Airmen of 25th Air Force, over the years.
- USAFSS Display at the NMUSAF. President Ron Haygood has a meeting set with the new 25th Air Force Commander, Major General Mary O’Brien, to discuss FTVA with her. At this meeting he will propose 25 AF support for standing up a USAFSS display at the National Museum of the Air Force.
- Larson Awards Update. It is time for the annual Larson Awards testing process. Plans are underway to recognize the winners during this year’s Anniversary Week activities.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- FTVA President Meeting with new 25 AF Commander. President Ron Haygood will meet soon with the new 25th Air Force Commander, Maj Gen Mary O’Brien. At this meeting he will share with her the FTVA’s role and relationship with the Numbered Air Force.
- Florida Chapter Update. Ron Haygood has been dialoguing with the current 25th Intelligence Squadron Commander about resurrecting the Florida Chapter of the FTVA. No firm decisions have been made, but all parties remain resolute in reinvigorating the chapter in Florida.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Barnie Gavin. There is a really good museum at Cocoa Beach, FL located near the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC). That might be a good location to showcase any memorabilia showing the link between USAFSS/ESC/AFIC/AIA/AFISRA/25 AF and AFTAC. If anyone has any items they would like to donate, I will ensure they get to the museum.
- Dennis Rassmussen. Everything is looking good regarding the Newsletter. I am trying to find a better way to share information about people and activities important to our members, especially if the source of the information is from somebody who is not a member of FTVA; as our goal would be to maximize awareness.
- Ron Haygood. The 25th Air Force is now the proud owner of the Air Base Wing at Grand Forks AFB, ND. In essence, the 25 AF now “owns” the entire base and all that goes with it. 25th Air Force Commander, Maj Gen O’Brien, has been in Grand Forks all week to accept ownership of the base. The 25 AF Vice Commander finally pinned on his star; he was a Brig Gen-Select for 18 months. The new A2/3 for 25 AF will be here the end of June.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1424. The next meeting will be on Friday, the 21st of July 2017 probably in the SSFCU Executive Dining Room.
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening