P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616

1. MARCH 20, 2015 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.

2. Attendance:

Ron Haygood – PresidentAndy Smith — Vice President
Bob Cope — TreasurerPhred Sevening — Secretary
Bob Baert Dennis Buxton
Barnie GavinDennis Rassmussen
Ken Maynard




3. MINUTES: The minutes of the FEB 2015 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.

4.  TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.

5.  CHAPTER REPORTS:  The National Capital Region (NCR) Chapter met Saturday, 28 Feb.  Bob Bastian welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Since only one individual at this meeting was also at the January meeting, Bob discussed the background for moving the Chapter meetings to the Fort Meade area from the D.C. area (but with the intent to ensure NCR Chapter members in Northern Virginia, Washington DC and Maryland are welcome and involved).  The first order of business was to get to know each other.  We spent the first 30-45 minutes introducing ourselves to each other with a short (mostly) description of our careers…it warmed Bob’s heart to hear several were ditty boppers!  The primary objective of the 28 Feb meeting was to hold elections for the Executive Council, consisting of:

  • President
  • Vice President
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer

Since the number of nominees does not meet a minimum of at least one per position, Bob recommended continuing to accept nominations and then conducting the election via email, and/or mail for those without an email account.  The ballots went out on Friday, 6 March; the suspense for voting is 20 March.
NCR Chapter Goals

  • Hold elections for Chapter officers
  • Get the word out and build NCR Chapter membership
  • Continue to establish strong membership base at Fort Meade
  • Meaningful support to 25 AF NCR-assigned Airmen and units

Members’ ideas for Events & Activities

  • NSA/CSS Armed Forces Day Events & FTVA NCR Booth
  • Support & work with National Heritage Cryptologic Museum
  • Professional Military Education Award Sponsorship
  • “Speed Mentoring”
  • National Capital Region Annual Picnic
  • Attend Air Force – Navy Tailgate Party and Football Game (October 3, 2015, Annapolis)
  • Capture Members’ & USAFSS-to-25 AF Oral History


  1. NAME TAGS:  Ron Haygood distributed a number of nametags at the San Antonio FTVA Chapter outing last night; will hand out more at the Spring Social.  We expect orders to come in as more and more people see the finished product.  We can work with the various Chapters on doing bulk orders for them; And Smith will reach out and contact the Chapters to get this socialized and moving.
  2. Spring Social:  Date is 4 April, at same location as last year (Marriott at 151 and Wiseman).  It is too soon to know how many deployers will attend this year (last year there were about ten).  Will need to know how many deployers so Ken Williams can get a $25 gift-card to each deployer.  25th Air Force Command Chief, CMSgt Towberman, will be the guest speaker.  We plan to recognize Joe Hurst and Jim McLendon as Directors Emeriti at the event.
  3. FTVA San Antonio Chapter Update:  Latest meeting was last night (19 March) and we had approximately 60-plus show up, a great turnout; and the food and service were great (Umberto’s Restaurant).  Will probably hold off until May meeting to elect officers, and work the Constitution and By-Laws.  Everyone had a great time, we saw a number of people we had not seen in a long time. 
  4. 25th Air Force Deployer’s Picnic:  The Numbered Air Force (NAF) Staff has the money for the event; and planning is proceeding well.  Event organizers will ensure all receipts, and excess funds, are returned to FTVA. 
  5. Major General Doyle E. Larson Awards update:  25th Air Force Command Chief’s Exec let us know that the check for the 2014 Larson Awards Program was received and deposited.
  6. Vietnam War Commemoration Partner Program Update:  Chief of Staff of the Air Force (CSAF) has initiated an effort to honor those who participated in the Vietnam War.  CSAF is requesting active duty organizations step up to play a role.  After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to table this until the NAF takes action and invites us to participate.
  7. 25 AF Senior Liaison Update:  Ron Haygood and Ken Williams are still working with NAF leadership to select a new senior liaison.


  1. Anniversary Week Update:  The NAF Project Officer will be Maj Jay Griffin; he has already received the continuity book hand-off from last year’s POC. 
  2. Looking for FTVA Chair for the Remembrance Ceremony:  All the Anniversary Week events except for the Remembrance Ceremony have an active FTVA Point of Contact.  After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to nominate Ted Colquhoun for the position (in his absence, naturally). 
  3. 2015 Banquet Guest Speaker:  We are working with 25th AF on the guest speaker for this year’s Anniversary banquet.  More to follow.
  4. 2015 Nomination Committee Update:  Call for nominations went out in latest Newsletter; if anyone wants to step up or remain in office another term, please let the nominating committee know. 
  5. National Security Agency Cryptologic Museum:  The NSA Cryptologic Museum staff wants to construct a new building to house the memorabilia; and they are looking for ways to raise funds.  They are a 501(c) organization, so all donations would be tax-deductible.  If the FTVA does make a donation, we would insist on proper recognition in the new building, such as a prominently displayed plaque.  Rass will get an article in the next Newsletter, and Andy will reach out to socialize the idea with the other Chapters.
  6. Electronic Payment Capability Update.  After short discussion, agreement was reached that FTVA will not establish the capability to receive funds by any electronic means; there are simply too many security and cost issues associated. 



  1. Dennis Rassmussen:  Will work with Andy Smith to get Chapter updates in the Newsletter.  Andy agreed to send updates quarterly. 
  2. Bob Baert:  Two members want to go back to receiving paper copies of the Newsletter.  Do we want to include anything about the name-tags when I send out the next round of Anniversary Week invitations and paperwork? 

10.  There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1415.  The next meeting will be at the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 17 April 2015.

Loren R. “Phred” Sevening

Skip to content