FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. March 16, 2018 FTVA Board of Directors’ Meeting: After ascertaining a quorum, President Ted Colquhoun called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. in the SSFCU Corporate Headquarters Building, La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX.
|Ted Colquhoun – President||Lee Anthony – Treasurer|
|Joe Figueroa||Barnie Gavin|
|Dennis Buxton||Dennis Rassmussen|
|Ken Maynard||Ken Williams|
3. MINUTES: The February 2018 Meeting Minutes were read and approved as written.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was presented, discussed, and filed for audit. Lee requested the Treasurer’s address for each chapter in order to disburse the annual membership “stipend”.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- MID-ATLANTIC REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- New Special Activities Chair: Ted still searching for volunteer, desires a true definition of the position.
- New Golf Director: Bob Benitez will assume duties from Dennis Buxton as the Golf Director. ITEM CLOSED.
- Spring Social Update: Still set at the Marriott for 21 April, CMSgt Stanley Cadell, 25 AF/CCM is guest speaker. Announcements/Reminders have been mailed. No April FTVA BOD meeting will be held due to the Spring Social. ITEM CLOSED.
- FTVA Facebook presence. Although it has ~2000 followers, there is little/sporadic activity on the FTVA Facebook page. Ted is considering combining a Social Media/Special Activities Director position. Board members were encouraged to use the Facebook page for announcements, Fallen Eagles updates, etc.
- Remain In Touch Newsletter. Dennis is still experimenting with multiple publishing software programs.
- Electronic Payments. Zelle is up and operational through SSFCU for renewals and new members. Bob has noted a couple of minor problems with the “Submit Payment” action, but primarily negligence from the payor.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- RIVET AMBER Memorial Plaque(s): Mike Meermans (through Lee Anthony) queried the possibility of the FTVA teaming with the 55th Wing and Big Safari Associations to replace the plaque at the entrance of Amber Hall (Eielson AFB) due to the misspelling of one of the deceased crewmember’s name. Cost to replace this one plaque is approximately $2800. There is also the possibility of another RIVET AMBER Memorial to be placed at Offutt AFB in conjunction with the COBRA BALL Memorial. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to commit up to $2,000 to support these efforts. There are ample funds in the USAFSS/ESC Memorial Fund.
- Partnering with 25 AF/HO: AJ Harrison is taking action to partner with 25 AF/HO in building month-by-month historical articles building up to the 70th Anniversary of the USAF Security Service, culminating with the September reunion. All volunteer input is welcomed, more information to follow.
- 70th Anniversary. Through discussion with others within 25 AF, Ted Colquhoun is acting to make the upcoming anniversary and associated banquet an expanded, more formal affair. Consideration is due to potentially a high-level USAF presence to speak at the banquet. Ken Williams has the Gateway Club reserved, and will keep the staff informed of key visitors and other decisions as they occur.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: None
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Dennis Rassmussen: Rass profoundly thanked the RIT team that has stepped in during his illness and absence, specifically Dennis Buxton, Joe Figueroa, and Ken Maynard. He also restated the significance of the FTVA and Newsletter for the membership, particularly the early USAFSS veterans.
- Ken Williams will follow up with Steve Doucette on naming a 25 AF Reunion key point of contact.
- Barnie Gavin expressed thanks to Jen Anthony for providing the Alamo Chapter with new signs for gatherings.
- Bob Baert is providing artwork for development of a new Lifetime Member card; requires updating as the old ones still say AFISRA.
- Ted Colquhoun expressed his and the entire BOD’s appreciation for all Rass has done to advance the RIT Newsletter. All improvements have received numerous compliments throughout the past few years since Rass became the director.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1427. The next meeting will be May 18, 2018 on Security Hill, in Larson Hall (bldg. 2007).
Acting Secretary For This Meeting