P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616

1.  MAY 20, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING:  After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.

2.  Attendance:

Ron Haygood – PresidentAndy Smith – Vice President
Bob Cope – TreasurerPhred Sevening – Secretary
Bob BaertDennis Rassmussen
Ted ColquhounBarnie Gavin
Mark HessCol Kyle Forrer – 25 AF Senior Liaison

3.  MINUTES:  The April 2016 meeting minutes were read and approved with minor edits. 

4.  TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.


  1. ALAMO CHAPTER:  Awaiting input
  2. ALOHA CHAPTER:  Awaiting input
  3. GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER:  Awaiting input
  4. HERITAGE CHAPTER:  Awaiting input
  6. ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER:  Awaiting input
  7. SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Awaiting input


  1. USAFSS Display at the National Museum of the Air Force.  25 AF/CC, Maj Gen Shwedo, drafted a memo intended to be submitted to NMUSAF staff to open the door for a USAFSS (and subsequent organizations) display.  The memo is currently with 25 AF/JA for their coordination.  Once the memo is good to go, it will be sent to NMUSAF, with 25 AF/HO (history office) serving as the overall lead for the project.  Ron Haygood will continue to coordinate with 25th Air Force Chief of Staff to ensure this staffing action remains on track.
  2. RSM-1 Reunion Plans Update:  Ron Haygood reached out to the RSM-1 leadership recommending they change the date for the planned reunion to coincide with the Anniversary Week activities.  The RSM-1 POC has not yet responded.  Ron has already arranged for the RSM-1 members to have access to the 25 AF historical display section within 25 AF HQ should they decide to keep their current reunion dates intact. 
  3. Elmendorf FLR-9 Retirement:  The FLR-9 at Elmendorf AFB is set to be retired with a 25 May deactiviation ceremony, with Ron Haygood and the new 25 AF Vice Commander, Brig Gen (select) Cluff attending.  Members of the 381st IS are still seeking a sponsor that would allow them to convert the FLR-9 included in the State of Alaska Historical Register; members of that unit have contacted Ron in hopes of garnering FTVA support.  There are not enough active FTVA members in that area, preventing the FTVA from playing any sort of role in converting the site to a historical landmark; due to the requirements to remain open a set number of days/hours per year and other requirements.  Ron will meet with appropriate squadron personnel to discuss in person when he is TDY there for the ceremony. 
  4. Spring Social Recap:  The Spring Social was another successful social venture for us; even though turnout from within the 25 AF members and deployers was lower than desired.  Ron Haygood will discuss with the 25 AF Command Chief to get his support.  The food, beverages, camaraderie, and guest speaker were all excellent, as we have come to expect. 


  1. Anniversary Week Banquet Guest Speaker Update:  25 AF/CC Executive Assistant has reached out to Lt Gen Bansemer to seek his commitment to serve as banquet guest speaker, with no firm commitment yet.  Ron Haygood contacted Lt Gen Bansemer directly and got a tentative confirmation with the understanding that due to his position he may be hit with a higher priority commitment precluding him from attending.  Current course of action is to plan on Lt Gen Bansemer as the banquet guest speaker, and advise the new 25 AF/CV and the new NSA-Texas Commander to potentially be on tap as a backup should the need arise. 
  2. Anniversary Week Activities Issue:  The question was presented to the BOD regarding how can we keep all the activities intact and yet reduce the overall time requirement, especially for Saturday’s activities?  After heated, passionate, and lengthy discussions, motion was made, seconded, and approved to not have the receiving line after the Hall of Honor Induction Ceremony, and to work with the 25 AF Commander’s Action Group (CAG) to cut back on the narrator’s comments significantly. 
  3. Hall of Honor Coins:  The supply is running low, motion was made, seconded, and approved to fund the purchase of new coins.
  4. FTVA Hats Update:  The supply is running low, motion was made, seconded, and approved to fund the purchase of new hats; will get the same amount and same two choices (hard bill and soft bill) as before. 
  5. 97 IS Building Renaming Action:  The 97 IS leadership intends to name one of their Ops Buildings after the recently deceased CMSgt (ret) Tom Tennant.  Naming a building after a person requires high level support and approval.  Appeal was made to the 25 AF Senior Liaison, Col Kyle Forrer, and the FTVA President, Ron Haygood (due to his current position as a member of 25 AF leadership) to be on the lookout for the staff package and advocate for support. 
  6. FTVA Board Member Change:  Vice President Andy Smith shared with us that his work commitments are growing, preventing him from serving to the full extent required of the position of our Vice President, and for that reason he tendered his resignation.  Fortunately, Andy was very proactive in this decision and had already collaborated with Ted Colquhoun to step up and take over as VP.  After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to accept Andy’s resignation and appoint Ted to serve as Vice President; all in keeping with FTVA By-Laws. 



  1. Col Kyle Forrer:  There is potential for a new 25 AF Senior Liaison; I have served in this capacity for over a year and fortunately a 25 AF senior civilian is interested in taking over that role.  Mr Steve Doucette, the 25 AF Chief of Staff, is interested. 
  2. Dennis Rassmussen:  The latest version of the Newsletter was probably the best yet, in terms of graphics and clarity from the printer. 
  3. Bob Baert:  With all the changes in the Board of Director’s, I need to update the documents that will get sent out to members. 
  4. Andy Smith:  Thank you all for the opportunity to serve, I enjoyed it immensely.  I will remain active with the FTVA, but unfortunately not as your Vice President. 
  5. Ron Haygood:  I have a couple names of active members in the Ft Walton Beach area that we can work with to reinvigorate the Sunshine Chapter.  I will work with Ted Colquhoun to see what we can do; will also work with the new Squadron and Group Commanders – both of whom will be on board this summer. 

10.  There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1429. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 17 June 2016.


Loren R. “Phred” Sevening
FTVA Secretary

Skip to content