P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616

1.  NOVEMBER 21, 2014 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING:  After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room. 

2.  Attendance:

Ron Haygood – PresidentAndy Smith – Vice President
Bob Cope – Treasurer Phred Sevening – Secretary
Barnie GavinLee Anthony
Bob Baert Jim McLendon
Dennis RassmussenWayne Tallant
AJ HarrisonDennis Buxton
Ken Maynard 

3.  MINUTES: The minutes of the OCT 2014 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.

4.  TREASURER’S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit. 


  1. FTVA Chapter Updates:
  1. NCR Chapter:  Al Dowling and Bob Bastian recently held a meeting with some potential key players in reinvigorating the NCR chapter; the 70 ISRW provided a number of uniformed participants.  One issue they are struggling with is finding a suitable location to hold meetings.  Their next scheduled meeting is JAN 2015.  Ron Haygood will provide information and assistance on getting this chapter back up and running.
  2. Sunshine Chapter:  Members of this chapter have collaborated with 361st ISRG to support their annual awards programs; and they presented a set of Larry Tart’s books to the Group.
  3. Aloha Chapter:  NSTR.
  4. Rocky Mountain Chapter:  The Rocky Mountain Chapter is entering the holidays with a scheduled holiday party on 13 Dec. They also plan on having FTVA members attending the 544th IOG holiday party.  Their monthly meetings have been modifed to a business meeting once a quarter with the other two months of the quarter strictly social.  Upcoming events include meeting the new 544th IOG Commander, and continued efforts to support Air Force Academy cadets entering the intelligence career fields.  Only major challenge continues to attract younger ISR professionals into the ranks. 
  5. Heritage Chapter:  We recently finalized something we’ve been working on for quite a while – the memorialization of Sgt Dale Brandenburg.  On 27 October, Building 448, which houses the 17th Training Group, was dedicated as Brandenburg Hall.  This was done in large part by working with Goodfellow leadership – specifically Col Kimberlee Joos, 17th Training Wing commander – and the Goodfellow Historian, Dr John “Doc” Garrett.  It was Ed Bendinelli’s mission to make this come to fruition and, after over three years of work, it finally happened.  The two nieces were more than happy and that’s what really counts.  Ed Bendinelli will serve as a panel member at Angelo State University’s “Vietnam Through the Lens” panel discussion.  The exhibit and panel discussion honors local Vietnam veterans and coincides with the national commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.  Working on the exhibit since spring, the staff of the West Texas Collection has conducted about 40 interviews and oral histories and over 50 brought photos and memorabilia to be scanned.  Ed was just one of our chapter members interviewed; Tom Nurre and Larry participated as well.
  6. Gold Country Chapter:  Our two most significant events will be published in the next quarterly. We have been working on the 2014 objectives we set in a meeting with the Commander of the 548th ISR early in the year. We are able to report that we are working with General Atomic and others to acquire an MQ-1 Predator for static display here at the 548th campus courtyard. This is not an easy task and will span a few years of effort.  Additionally we have acquired and delivered exercise equipment that the airmen can have access to when the base gym is closed. This is important to their mental health when the good guys do not always win. A multi-gym was provided to them. It supports up to three people at a time at different activity stations.
  1. FTVA Chapter Rebates:  The normal chapter rebates will be disbursed later this month.
  2. PROP WASH Gang’s “Christmas in the Sandbox” initiative:  They raised and donated over $6,000 to support ISR Airmen deployed downrange over the holidays.


  1. Updating FTVA Emblem:  Five potential versions were shown around the room for input; none were selected as-is.  Feedback was provided to refine the draft emblems with plan to provide updated versions at the next meeting (JAN 2015). 
  2. Spring Social:  21 March 2015 was decided as the date for the next Spring Social; will be held at same location as last year (Courtyard Marriott off Highway 151). 
  3. Name tags for meetings/events.  Point was made that too many of us see people at events and know we recognize the person but too often find ourselves unable to put a name with the face.  Recommendation was made to have nametags at all events that are expected to have any sizeable attendance.  Barnie Gavin agreed to honcho this initiative. 



  1. AJ Harrison:  Looking ahead to next year’s Hall of Honor, there is a chance that as a Numbered Air Force, the 25th Air Force may not be able to fund the Hall of Honor plaque and related items.  Also, AJ will coordinate with 25 AF/PA to get Hall of Honor induction pictures and send to each inductee.
  2. Dennis Rassmussen:  We have a new volunteer to help with the Newsletter, recently retired Chief Pepito Figueroa. 
  3. Bob Baert:  For next year’s Anniversary Week events, the base Security Forces team will need full identification information on each person planning to access the base who does not have an I.D. card.  Current ROE requires the SF team to have this info at least three days in advance of anticipated base access.  With the SF members enforcing this action, there most certainly will be members turned away at the gate for failure to provide that data in advance, even though it is clearly advertised in multiple venues for our members to read and comply. 
  4. Jim McLendon:  We have received great feedback on the individual bagpiper and he is willing to do it again next year.  Jim is passing the reins regarding his role in the Vigilant Partners Program and thanked everyone for the opportunity to serve.
  5. Lee Anthony:  The Beaner Reunion was a great event; thanks for all the help on a job well done.  Lee also presented the possibility of starting a San Antonio FTVA chapter because the FTVA Board of Directors is viewed as a pure Board of Directors rather than a genuine chapter.  Barnie Gavin and Lee Anthony agreed to pursue this further and provide feedback at the next meeting. 

9.  There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1502.  The next meeting will be in the SSFCU BOD Room on 16 JAN 2015 at 1330. 

Loren R. “Phred” Sevening
FTVA Secretary

Skip to content