FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. October 19, 2018 FTVA Board of Directors’ Meeting: After ascertaining a quorum, President Ted Colquhoun called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. in the Cafeteria, bldg. 2000, Security Hill, Joint-Base San Antonio-Lackland.
|Ted Colquhoun – President||Lee Anthony – Treasurer|
|Phred Sevening â€“ Secretary||Roy Burnett|
|Dennis Buxton||Ken Williams|
|AJ Harrison||Bob Benitez|
3. MINUTES: The August 2018 Meeting Minutes were read and approved as written.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Was presented, discussed, and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS:
- New Special Activities Chair: Ted is still working this one, discussion at this meeting focused on what this person does and the potential for integrating this activity into another Chair.
- National Museum of the Air Force (NMUSAF) Update: This action item deals with collaborating with the NMUSAF staff to stand up a USAFSS/ESC/AFIC/AIA/AFISRA/25 AF display in the museum. Nothing new to report.
- FTVA Facebook presence: Nothing new to report.
- Review of Constitution and By-Laws: Copies of the current FTVA Constitution and By-Laws were distributed, with request for each attending member to review the documents and bring recommended input to the NOV meeting.
- FTVA Membership Drive: This topic enjoyed lengthy discussion, with many ideas presented for consideration. Consensus is to convene a small group to take lead on this and present initial findings at the JAN 2019 Board Meeting.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
- FTVA Anniversary Week Recap: The 25 AF POC, Maj Bailey, is TDY and unable to attend todayâ€™s meeting. Will defer this anniversary update until the NOV meeting.
- 70th Anniversary: Through discussion with others within 25 AF, Ted Colquhoun is acting to make the upcoming anniversary and associated banquet an expanded, more formal affair. Consideration is due to potentially a high-level USAF presence to speak at the banquet. Ken Williams has the Gateway Club reserved, and will keep the staff informed of key visitors and other decisions as they occur.
- Administrative Change to the Meeting Minutes Format: The “Chapter Input” section of the minutes rarely has anything other than local Alamo Chapter input. Because the Remain in Touch Newsletter contains all chapter inputs, motion was made, seconded, and approved to delete this section from meeting minutes.
7. CORRESPONDENCE: None
8. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Ken Williams: The banquet this year had approximately 180 attendees; I am seriously considering stepping down as the Banquet Chair, please be on the lookout for a potential replacement for me.
- Lee Anthony: I am looking into using USAFSS/ESC Memorial Funds to finance a major overhaul of our website. I will research the legalities and options and present an update at the NOV meeting.
- AJ Harrison: Tom Nurre and crew did a great job on the EC-47 and many other historical displays on Goodfellow Air Force Base. Those guys might be a good idea to brainstorm with on getting ideas for a National Museum of the Air Force display.
- Roy Burnett:
- I have access to a conference call capability which can be used to hold short-notice discussions to resolve hot topics, if needed.
- There is a program called SLACK which could be used as a communications tool for us. If we need to update any IT stuff, SLACK would be a great transition tool.
- Dennis Buxton: There are no limitations on the size of the digital copy, but the hard copies pose an issue. Will put an announcement in the next RIT seeking feedback to shut off the hard copy. We can streamline the hard copy if needed, and go full size with the online version. Will include the publishing and mailing cost in this announcement so our customers know. Will also survey on what gets read. Should we add a website sign-ins section?
- Ted Colquhoun: Our meetings currently start at 1330, can we flex to have them start at 1300? After short discussion, decision was to start the NOV meeting at 1300 and possibly solidify that as the new start time.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1450. The next meeting will be November 16, 2018 in the Cafeteria, bldg. 2000, Security Hill, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, starting at 1300 (note new start time).
Loren R. “Phred” Sevening