FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. October 18, 2019 FTVA Board of Directors’ Meeting: After establishing a quorum, President Evan Smith called the meeting to order at 1:45 p.m. at Engrave Tech & Graphics, 326 West Nakoma, San Antonio, Texas.
|Evan Smith – President||William Brockmiller – Vice President|
|Lee Anthony – Treasurer||Ted Colquhoun|
|Ken Maynard||Ron Haygood|
|Roy Burnett||Ken Williams|
|AJ Harrison||Dan Martin|
3. MINUTES: The September 2019 Meeting Minutes were read and with a change to paragraph five, were approved.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Treasurer Lee Anthony provided the report, to be archived for audit/review.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- Anniversary Week Recap: It was determined that despite the extensive heat and a decline in FTVA Golf Tournament participation, the tournament and the other anniversary events were a success and enjoyed by most participants. There was great event support from the 25 AF and 24 AF.
- FTVA Membership Drive: It was decided not to become an approved on-base Private Organization. Way ahead for FTVA Membership Drive to be determined.
- Status of TSgt Ernie Parrish plaque in BALA: Tabled until after the NAF merger.
- Potential for Memorial Plaque in BALA for Maj Ransom: Tabled until after the NAF merger.
- FTVA Charter/Constitution Update: A line in our current charter was recently discovered that states current board members cannot be active employees of the NAF. Correction will be made in conjunction with NAF merger and presented in upcoming meeting for approval vote and implementation. FTVA Secretary and other Board Members are working on updating the documents, which will be presented at a meeting in the near future for approval and voting.
- Codifying Memorialization Process: During short discussion on Maj Ransom, motion was made, seconded, and approved to form a small committee to establish a formal process for the FTVA to follow to ensure all future considerations are addressed in a consistent and standardized manner.
- New Nominating Committee Chair: Tabled discussion on this topic until next meeting.
- Way-Ahead for FTVA as JBSA “Private Organization”: Board decided to reject proposal to become a JBSA Private Organization. CLOSED.
- 2019 FTVA history and guidelines for future editions: Board will engage Dan Martin. Additions approved.
- Follow-up on business insurance coverage/quotes: Bill Brockmiller will solicit quotes for FTVA insurance coverage.
- Spring Social – keep or kill: Continue discusses on whether to continue with the Spring Social. Declining/low participation and time of year are influencing factors.
- Post-merger action items: Now that merger is complete, identify/prioritize items for action.
- Larson Awards Way-Ahead: Under the new NAF construct, we will have most AFSCs from the Air Force assigned to the new NAF. The future Larson Award competitions may have to be modified to ensure everything meets the spirit and intent of awarding the “best of the best” in each AFSC in the NAF (SIGINTers?)
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Codify 16 AF relationship with FTVA: FTVA/16 AF need to determine what the relationship will look like going forward.
- Distributing FTVA information to members: What will the delivery method to FTVA members considering that not all members are on the web. Do we push information down to the Chapters to distribute?
- Audit committee: Research tax code/CPA/estimates for audit requirements. Chapter CPAs?
- Chapters on-base organization: Should chapters have flexibility to become on-base organizations.
- FTVA plaque uniformity/criteria (addendum): Establish guidelines to ensure award/recognition program is standardized going forward (prompted by changes that may affect location/presentation of awards. Decided that it is 16 AF to do, however, we can help guide the process if requested.
- FTVA logo graphic – change to reflect 16 AF (Air Forces Cyber): Does logo need to change to reflect new cyber mission (former 24 AF).
- Clarify/expand Larson Award donation requests: With the addition of former 24 AF units, establish procedures for donation requests.
- RIT inputs by 15 November:
8. CORRESPONDENCE: NSTR
9. AROUND THE ROOM: No further items than what was presented as new business.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 3:21 pm. The next FTVA BOD meeting will be 15 November 2019 on Security Hill, Larson Hall (building 2000) in the 16 AF Cafeteria.